Alfred Dunhill Links Foundation helping to restore St Andrews’ historic places
Over the years a very special relationship has developed between the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship and the town and people of St Andrews.
This togetherness is reflected in the support of the Alfred Dunhill Links Foundation for the St Andrews Pilgrim Foundation which preserves and restores old buildings and maintains the fabric of the town.
To support its work, the Alfred Dunhill Links Foundation runs an annual internet auction for an amateur playing place in the Alfred Dunhill Links Championships, which has raised several hundred thousand pounds over the years for the Pilgrim Foundation.
Logies Lane: working in co-operation with Fife Council, the scheme involves the complete refurbishment of this wynd which runs between Market Street and South Street, together with environmental improvements to Church Square, one of the focal points of the town.
Cathedral Illumination: the Cathedral is one of the most spectacular and memorable sights in Scotland. The original floodlighting was decommissioned more than ten years ago, but the St Andrews Partnership raised funds to install a new state-of-the-art lighting system which was switched on a year ago. The Pilgrim Foundation donated £10,000 towards the project.
Jamie Anderson’s headstone: Jamie, who lived from 1842 to 1905, was acknowledged as the best golfer in the world at times during his career, but he died in the poorhouse and no headstone was ever added to his grave. This headstone celebrates one of Scotland's golfing icons.
The great and good of golf have supported the work of the Pilgrim Foundation. Arnold Palmer, who died in September 2016, was a patron as are Jack Nicklaus, Sandy Lyle, Sir Sean Connery and Colin Montgomerie. The Honorary President is Sir Michael Bonallack, former secretary of the R&A.